how to remove glock mag base plate
To remove the base plate of a Glock magazine, follow these steps:
Materials you may need:
- Glock pistol magazine with base plate
- Thin, sturdy object (e.g., a small punch or screwdriver)
- Workbench or flat surface
- Safety First:
- Ensure that your Glock pistol is unloaded and that there are no live rounds in the magazine. Remove the magazine from the pistol if it is inserted.
- Prepare Your Workspace:
- Place the magazine on a workbench or a flat surface with the base plate facing up.
- Identify the Base Plate Retention Tab:
- Examine the bottom of the magazine, and you’ll notice a small metal tab on the backside of the base plate. This tab retains the base plate in place.
- Push In the Retention Tab:
- Using a thin, sturdy object such as a small punch or screwdriver, press the metal retention tab inward toward the center of the magazine. You may need to apply a bit of pressure, but be careful not to use excessive force.
- Slide the Base Plate:
- While keeping the retention tab depressed, carefully slide the base plate forward towards the front of the magazine. The base plate should move slightly, allowing you to remove it from the magazine body.
- Remove the Base Plate:
- Once the base plate has moved forward enough, you can lift it away from the magazine body. Be cautious as the base plate might be under spring tension, especially if the magazine is loaded. Hold the base plate securely to prevent it from flying off.
- Inspect and Clean:
- With the base plate removed, you can inspect and clean the interior of the magazine for any dirt or debris. Pay attention to the magazine spring and follower.
- Reassembly (if necessary):
- If you needed to remove the base plate for maintenance or cleaning, simply reverse the steps to reassemble the magazine. Slide the base plate back onto the magazine body, making sure the retention tab engages properly.
- Test Functionality:
- After reassembly, insert the magazine into your Glock pistol and cycle it to ensure proper feeding and function. Ensure the base plate is securely attached.
Please exercise caution while working with firearms and firearm accessories. Always follow proper safety procedures and treat every firearm as if it is loaded. If you’re uncomfortable or unsure about disassembling your Glock magazine, it’s a good idea to seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual or a certified armorer.