how to clean an aga
Cleaning an AGA cooker, known for its iconic cast-iron design and functionality, requires some specific steps to keep it looking and functioning its best. Here’s how to clean an AGA:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Rubber gloves
- Sponge or cloth
- Warm water
- Mild dish soap
- Baking soda
- Scraper or spatula (non-abrasive)
- AGA enamel cleaner (optional)
- Lint-free cloth or paper towels
- AGA chrome cleaner (if applicable)
- AGA hotplate cleaner (if applicable)
- AGA towel (optional, for polishing)
Steps to Clean an AGA:
- Safety Precautions:
- Before starting, make sure the AGA cooker is turned off and completely cool to the touch.
- Remove Cookware and Accessories:
- Take out any cookware, trays, and accessories from the AGA, including the hotplate lids, if applicable.
- Mix Cleaning Solution:
- Fill a basin or sink with warm water and add a few drops of mild dish soap. Mix it until it’s well-dissolved. This will be your cleaning solution.
- Wipe Down Surfaces:
- Wipe down the exterior surfaces of the AGA with a sponge or cloth dipped in the warm, soapy water. Be gentle and avoid using abrasive pads or harsh chemicals that could damage the enamel finish.
- Clean the Hotplates (if applicable):
- If your AGA has hotplates, use a scraper or spatula to remove any burnt-on food or residue. Be cautious not to scratch the surface. Wipe the hotplates with the soapy water solution and rinse thoroughly.
- Clean Inside the Ovens:
- For the oven interiors, remove any loose crumbs or debris. You can sprinkle baking soda on stubborn spots and use a damp cloth or sponge to scrub gently. Avoid getting the baking soda on the enamel surfaces.
- Rinse and Dry:
- Rinse all cleaned surfaces with a clean, damp cloth to remove any soap residue. Then, use a dry cloth or paper towels to dry the AGA.
- Optional AGA Enamel Cleaner:
- If there are stains or marks that haven’t come off with the soapy water, you can use an AGA enamel cleaner specifically designed for AGA cookers. Follow the product instructions for best results.
- Polish the Chrome Trim (if applicable):
- If your AGA has chrome trim, use an AGA chrome cleaner to polish it. Follow the product instructions carefully.
- Reassemble and Restore Accessories:
- Once the AGA is clean and dry, reassemble any accessories and replace them in their proper positions.
- AGA Towel (optional):
- If you have an AGA towel, you can use it to give the cooker a final polish for a shiny finish.
Regular cleaning and maintenance will keep your AGA cooker looking great and functioning properly. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals, as they can damage the enamel finish. Be sure to follow AGA’s specific care and cleaning recommendations for your model, as there may be slight variations in the cleaning process.